Here are some common questions asked by our clients:

I need Occupational, Physical, or Speech Therapy and want you to treat me.  What do I need to do next?

1. Get a prescription from your doctor stating the type of therapy needed and "evaluate and treat as necessary".  We will need to have a diagnosis on this prescription.

2. Call our office or send an email requesting an appointment.  Be sure to have your insurance information available when you call or email as our office is able to determine your insurance eligibility for services.

What insurances do you accept?

We accept most major insurances.  At this time, we are UNABLE to accept UPMC or Health America.  If you have further questions, please contact our offices. 

We also offer a variety of private pay options and discounts, if you do not have insurance.

I want to participate in the group exercise or sensory program.  What do I do next?

Call our office for our current schedule and costs.  We will be happy to accept you even if you did not complete your therapy program at our office.

I have waiver services authorized.  Which do you participate in and what do I need to do next?

We currently provider services for persons under the Commcare and OBRA waiver programs.  If you have therapy services in your plan, please call you service coordinator to have them designate us as your preferred provider.  We are unable to begin therapy until we receive authorization from the service coordinator.

Call Us:  724-304-0030

Rehabilitation Innovations, Inc.